If I had a nickel for every time someone mentioned “work-life” balance as if there were such a thing, I could eliminate work from the equation entirely. I do my best to put in my hours in the office, never forget a loved one’s birthday, keep a tidy house, and eat my vegetables – but there are certainly days when I just need to sleep in until 11:00 and have ice cream for breakfast.
You deserve it. Savor these moments. Treat yo’self.
The trick to creating more guilt-free downtime is to be happy and productive during business hours. Work is a necessary evil and allows us the opportunity to either be “glass half empty” or “glass half full”. Choose to be glass half full and [no matter what your profession] the line between work and life may start to blur a little. We are our best selves and in the greatest position to serve others at work or at home when we take joy in our own lives.
1. Suit up and show up, no matter what.
2. Prioritize + organize. Make sure that the most important to-do’s stay at the top of the list and get taken care of [hint: this is how I maintain what’s left of my sanity!] Don’t sweat the small stuff.
3. Take the stairs, walk the dog, hit the gym – find an activity that works for you. Exercise works true wonders for my productivity and attitude at the office.
4. Try going electronics free, even if only for an hour or two. When I go sans-iPhone, I really enjoy spending some time in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes or taking Owen to the park!
5. Throw caution to the wind! Book that last minute trip to Vegas. Take the risk. Eat the cupcake. Live a little. It’s chicken soup for the soul.
Check out these wonderful work + life balance blog posts by my fellow @dallasbloggercollective members!